Saturday, February 11, 2012

New York (8-9-10 July 2011)


Visiting big city like Mumbai, New York is itself big experience. Sheer number of people dwelling in tiny area makes wonder how people can live in a such small area. When I went to Portsmouth for shorted duration I planned well in advance to visit world capital called New York. As visiting big city was major attraction, so was meeting family member was other attraction.

My paternal aunt was visiting her daughter in New Jersey. She stayed mostly in my native place -- Patan and was wondering how she is doing completely new country. Anybody from native place almost instantly connects you to root of the family and I was no exception. Some discussion about past always makes every one happier and I was not an exception. So after Friday work I set to my journey to New Jersey around 4:00 PM. Although I was experience driver since it was my major trip after long time, I was little apprehensive as well as little worried about heavy traffic in   New York.

I was expecting I will reach my sister's place by 9:00. It was around 300 miles journey and considering 60 miles per hour journey I should be there by 9.00. But because of weekend travellers, rain and picturesque section of my drive, while driving I started feeling I won't reach by 9.00.  My route was I-495 S, I-84 W and some how reaching  22 Dayton Drive,  Edison, NJ, 08820.

Passing through state of Connecticut was rich experience.. Mist over Connecticut river, lakes, continuous forested area, passing through Hartford -- capital of Connecticut was most pleasing experience.

After one brief stop for food, fuelling I reached White planes close to 8 O' Clock. I was technically in New York and thought I will reach Edison by any way by 1 hour. But I was wrong, my sister told me exit on 111 on I-95 and that's where I got lost and next couple of hours I was just driving madly all over new jersey. She intended to say New Jersey turn pike way exit but both of us missed that.

When I see last Edison board vanishing I realize I am heading wrong direction and reached next place New Brunswick. I decided to go back on the same route till I get back to Edison. O the way I can see major night life in action -- mostly black american heading for party. I was not sure about what kind of area I was but dare to ask couple of guys about direction to Edison. Looking back around mid night asking people for direction was stupid. But good thing I was doing I usually asked couples only, hoping because of female companions guys will not be violent.

By the time I reached sister's place all kids were fast a sleep and it was 1.30. I was in search for house for more than 2 hours, I felt stupid but immediately refreshed by fresh dinner given by my sister and atya. Egg curry and chapati tested same way I used to eat at my native place. I didn't feel exhausted after eating home made food.
Next two days were fun just because of being with family. Saturday went to see New Jersey Safari, also visited few more relatives in Parsippany- Morristown. By the time I decided to go back to Portsmouth I met around 14 relatives, I wonder how that has happened since few years back I was knowing all my relatives are in Maharashtra. How globalization has slowly crept into family.

This was good family visit but I missed visiting New York city because of crazy driving so finally told sister some how arrange trip for city. So one the day of leaving, sister arranged quick train tour to New York for photography. She took me I think to  Port Imperial station where view is supposed to be best of New York. We hurriedly finished photo session and moved back since I have to travel back to Portsmouth.

While going back once I decided to go by I-95 all the way to my place considering headache of worrying about exist and entry. During stay I drove through many bridges especially Washington Bridge at night, Delaware bridge. Spectacular display of hudson river from NJTP. I love Nw York bridges and it's construction. Shear magnitude of these bridges is very huge and I think their architectures are spectacular. While going I decided to go again through Washington bridge to just get idea about various level bridge has. While going I didn't realize how I crossed that levels.
But while going traffic was horrible and number of time you pay tolls, you just wonder if that was worth a ride. But you get nice view of Manhattan and passing of swampy area.

Once I crossed Connecticut then only traffic was little bit better. Passing through  Rhodes Island , Massachusetts was fast. Especially liked crossing  capital Providence. Name of all these places just reminds me Kennedy and his legacy and its impact on american history.

By the time I reached Portsmouth I felt I grew older because of vast experience I got in this trip.





No comments: